Sunday, March 14, 2004
If you get free time after doing worksheet 6 today, here's what you can do:
(1) Practice your typing (try to reach 25 wpm on lesson 40, 97% accuracy)
(2) Make sure your class blog is listed at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pi082spring/links
(3) Link that blog to any other blogs or web pages you have on the Internet
(4) Have a look at http://www.bloki.com . Try to make a bloki like this one: http://vstevens.bloki.com
(5) Have fun!
Friday, February 27, 2004
Our classes at the PI are well under way now this term. All the students are registered in our Yahoo Group and I want to start using this group and our blogs to develop our web presence so that people all over the world will get to know us.
I'm Vance, a computing lecturer at the Petroleum Institute. I was born in Texas but I've lived in Hawaii and California in the USA, and I've lived for over 20 years in Arab countries: Saudi Arabia, Oman, and the UAE.
On weekends when I'm not at the PI I like to go diving or hiking in order to take advantage of the beautiful nature and environment of the UAE and Oman. I would like to stay in the UAE for a long time, and I hope to be able to continue working and teaching here.
My students know they can visit my blog for any last minute information I want to give over the Internet. Otherwise they can find information about our Comp082s courses here:
If you want to WORK on your blog, you can find some help pages here:
- Learn how to post and edit in Blogger: Posting and editing posts, steps 9 - 10
- Learn how to change the template to put your own photos and links on your blog
IMPORTANT: Before you change your template, back up the old one.
- Get the template in Blogger
- Hi-lite ALL of it and use ctrl-C to copy it to your computer's buffer or pasteboard
- Open Start / Programs / Accessories / Notepad
- Copy the old template from your computer memory to the Notepad document
- Save the old template in your Home folder
- If you make any mistakes (these will prevent your blog from displaying correctly) then simply copy the template from your Home folder to replace the one saved at blogger
The template tells Blogger how to display your blog entries. Your blog entries are OK. You can also see them after accidents by selecting a NEW template. This will restore your blog entries, but if you do this you will lose any changes you made to your template up to then.
Wishing you a happy and productive semester as we learn together,
Monday, February 09, 2004
Welcome to another semester of Computing at the PI.
Today I am busy setting up the materials we will use for our course. I have created a YahooGroup at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pi082spring/ and you are all invited (and required) to join it.
Once you are all in the group, you can put links to your blogs there. You can also upload photos to the group. I've set up folders for each of your classes in the LINKS and PHOTOS sections.
I have also set up the web sites which will serve as PORTALS for this course. At the moment, you can only see these sites from the PI IntRAnet. Later this evening (from home) I will upload the files to the InTERnet and make them available online from anywhere in the world (including the PI).
For now, here are the addresses (these links will work only from the PI):
The Foundation Computing Portal is at: \\pi-web1.pi.ac.ae\web\ESP\Computer\index.htm
Vance's Comp082s portal is here: \\pi-web1.pi.ac.ae\web\ESP\Computer\hspro_pi\comp082s2004\082s2004.htm
And you can find an explanation of homework assigned in this course, and when it is due, here: \\pi-web1.pi.ac.ae\web\ESP\Computer\hspro_pi\comp082s2004\082hw2004.htm
I'm going to post this message to our YahooGroups site. If you see it, tell your friends in my classes to check the blog or sign up at YahooGroups and see the Messages.
I look forward to working with you this semester.
Friday, December 19, 2003
Prepare a slide that will be used as a 'book cover' for your project
It should have the title of your project (biggest font)
It should have your name, teacher's name and class (medium font)
It should have a graphic to illustrate your project
The slide should be attractive
It CAN be animated (optional)
From the slide, we will make a screen shot to act as cover sheet for your project
Saturday, December 13, 2003
Highlight some text, click on the globe icon (with a chain 'link' on it) and then type in the url to link to.
Here is an example LINK to our homework page
Wednesday, December 10, 2003
- inform each other what you are doing on the class eZine and
- keep track of urls you will want to use for your projects
For example, here is a picture of Sheikh Zayed that I found on the Internet
You can also display this picture directly in your blog, like this
Saturday, December 06, 2003
- Introducing the UAE and its president Sheikh Zayed (Ali) and it's religion, Islam
- Interesting places to spend a holiday (Saeed)
- Tourism in the UAE (Mhmd Nasser and Rashid)
- Sports in general (Jamal) and car racing in particular (Khalfan)
We looked at some of the other sites listed at the link below and noticed that most had frames. That is there are two or three pages linked by an additional page. Vance can help someone make framed pages if you like.